- All trail users must have a valid Hatfield-McCoy Trail Permit. The user permit is to be affixed to the left side of user’s helmet below the goggle line at all times. Users who wish to transfer permit to another helmet may do so in person at our administrative office Rt. 10 South, Rich Creek Road, Lyburn WV, 25632.
- Everyone must wear a DOT, SNELL or other approved helmet and protective eyegear.
- No passengers on any ATV unless the ATV is manufactured for the driver and a passenger.
- No alcoholic beverages may be consumed or carried.
- No firearms.
- Obey all signs, gates, and barriers.
- Stay on marked trails.
- Only enter and exit the trail systems at a trailhead, community or other approved connectors.
- Do not enter a “no trail,” “no entry” or gated area.
- Drive or ride at a speed reasonable for conditions.
- No person shall drive an ATV/UTV unless that person meets the minimum age recommendation specified by the ATV/UTV manufacturer for the ATV/UTV that is being driven.
- Stop when signaled by a ranger.
- Carry photo identification at all times.
- Adult supervision is required for those under age 18.
- Do not litter.
- No fires.
- No camping on the trails.
- Trail system is open from sunrise to sunset.
SPECIAL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR SIDE-BY-SIDE UTILITY TYPE VEHICLE (UTV)
Side-by-side utility type vehicles operated upon the Hatfield-McCoy Trail System shall be subject to all of the safety rules and regulations of the Hatfield-McCoy Regional Recreation Authority and shall also be subject to the following safety rules specifically applying to side-by-side utility vehicles: Follow all rules and regulations identified in UTV owner’s manual and rules and regulations listed below. Utility Type Vehicles can only be operated on designated trails. Easiest Trails (Green) – Approved More Difficult Trails (Blue) – Approved Most Difficult Trails (Black) – Designated trails only (See Trail Map) Extreme Difficult Trails (Red Black) – Not approved Signage and Maps- Every intersection will be labeled with a sticker approving or disapproving each trail. This sign will have a UTV with a line through it and state NO SIDE-BY-SIDE/UTVs ALLOWED. Violators subject to $100.00 fine and impoundment of machine.Machine Requirements
- Machines may not be self-constructed or substantially modified from manufacturer’s specifications in the sole opinion of the executive director or designee.
- Units must be equipped with a steering wheel from the manufacturer.
- Units must be equipped with ROPS (Roll-Over Protection System) from the manufacturer.
- Machines must be equipped with manufacturer seat belts and must be in good working order.
- Low pressure tires required – Max 20PSI at manufacturer’s recommended inflation
Side by Side (UTV) Specific Rules
- The number of passengers carried on a side-by-side – utility type vehicle shall be limited by the number of manufacturer installed seat belts.
- All participants must abide by all of the manufacturer’s requirements regarding the age and size of operators and passengers.
- The driver and passengers of a side by side – utility type vehicle must:
- Wear seat belts at all times;
- Keep their hands, arms, feet, head and legs inside the vehicle at all times during operation;
- Wear a DOT or Snell approved helmet;
- Wear eye protection at all times; and
- Obey all rules and regulations.
- Any operator of a side by side – utility type vehicle must possess a valid owner’s manual for the machine being operated and must be produced upon the request of any Hatfield-McCoy Law Enforcement Officer or any other Law Enforcement Agency.